Finding not only gluten-free but also healthy bread is a struggle for people with gluten sensitivity, on a paleo diet, or those trying to eat food that is both good for them and tastes good. Bread is hard to give up. Who can resist the chewiness of a great pizza crust, the softness of a burger bun, or the satisfying crunch of a cracker? Thanks to Bread-Free Bread, that is a sacrifice no one has to make anymore. Nerissa Oden created many grain-free, vegetable- and seed-based breads that are not only a great vehicle for the foods that we all crave, but also delicious on their own, incredibly good for you, and easy to make! Her recipes also go beyond bread, such as her Zesty Cranberry Pumpkin Seed Cookies or Blueberry Lemon Muffins.
Try making this delicious and nutrient-filled Taste of India Bread for an original take on bread that will make you forget about the ubiquitous white bread. With its Middle Eastern flair and garlicky finish, this bread is great as sandwich bread, as a side dish, or even as a snack on its own.
Taste of India Bread
Makes one 9 x 13-inch bread
1½ cups golden flaxseed meal
½ cup raw pine nuts (2 ounces)
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon sea salt
1½ cups cooked garbanzo beans, or 1 (15 ounce) can, drained and rinsed
½ cup chopped red bell pepper
¼ cup liquid egg whites
2 tablespoons vinegar
4 to 6 garlic cloves, sliced lengthwise into 4 or 5 slivers each
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Cover a 9 x 13-inch baking sheet with Pan Lining Paper, foil side down.
- Grind the raw pine nuts finely.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
- Blend wet ingredients (except slices garlic) thoroughly in blender.
- Transfer the wet mixture to the bowl of dry ingredients. Mix well and quickly.
- Scrape the batter onto the prepared baking sheet. Push the mixture to the edges, then level with a spatula. Top with garlic slices and bake for about 60 minutes or until dry to the touch.
- Place upside down on a cooling rack. Remove the pan and paper. Let cool.
- After cooling, cut into desired pieces or use as a prebaked pizza crust. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
For another delicious Bread-Free Bread recipe, be sure to take a look at the recipe for Tomato Sauce Bread, also on this blog, here.
Bread-Free Bread: Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Amazingly Healthy Veggie- and Seed-Based Recipes was published by The Countryman Press in November 2014, and can be bought for $19.95 on www.countrymanpress.com, or at bookstores and online retailers.