Because bread is a part of so many foods that we all crave, many people on gluten-free and paleo diets have had to turn to unhealthy gluten- and grain-free flours. This is no longer a necessity. Nerissa Oden created many grain- and yeast-free breads, muffins, tortillas, crackers and cookies that are healthy, thanks to their abundance of veggies and seeds, and as satisfying, comforting, and texturally pleasing as the crackers, crusts, breads, and cakes that you know and love.
This Tomato Sauce Bread is not only a great substitute for regular bread, but also a great idea for accompanying anything that could use the tangy warming flavor of tomato sauce: grilled cheese, eggplant or chicken parm, BLT, anything roasted or grilled, you name it. But really, what doesn’t go with tomato sauce and bread?
Tomato Sauce Bread
Makes one 9 x 13-inch bread
1½ cups golden flaxseed meal
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon sea salt
1¼ cups cooked Great Northern beans, or 1 (15.8-ounce) can, drained and rinsed
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1/3 cup liquid egg whites
1 teaspoon vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Cover a 9 x 13-inch baking sheet with Pan Lining Paper, foil side down.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
- Blend wet ingredients thoroughly in blender.
- Transfer the wet mixture to the bowl of dry ingredients. Mix well and quickly.
- Scrape the batter onto the prepared baking sheet. Push the mixture to the edges, then level with a spatula. Bake for about 60 minutes or until dry to the touch.
- Place upside down on a cooling rack. Remove the pan and paper. Let cool.
- After cooling, cut into desired pieces or use as a prebaked pizza crust. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
For another delicious Bread-Free Bread recipe, be sure to take a look at the recipe for Taste of India Bread, also on this blog, here.
Bread-Free Bread: Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Amazingly Healthy Veggie- and Seed-Based Recipes was published by The Countryman Press in November 2014, and can be bought for $19.95 on www.countrymanpress.com, or at bookstores and online retailers.